From 12 March 2014, MVRC is required by the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (“Reform Act”) to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP’s), (subject to the other provisions of that Act).The APP’s regulate the manner in which personal information is handled throughout its life cycle, from collection to use and disclosure, storage, accessibility and disposal.
Personal information is information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or an opinion.
Special provisions apply to the collection of personal information which is sensitive information. The Reform Act defines sensitive information as information or an opinion about an individual’s: racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; membership of a political association; religious beliefs or affiliations; philosophical beliefs; membership of a professional or trade association; sexual preferences or practices; criminal record; health information about an individual; genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information or biometric information that is to be used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or biometric identification, and biometric templates.
Collection of Personal Information by MVRC
To the extent required by the Reform Act:
- MVRC will not collect personal information about you unless that information is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
- MVRC will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner.
- When MVRC collects personal information directly from you, we will take reasonable steps at or before the time of collection to ensure that you are aware of certain key matters, such as the purposes for which we are collecting the information, the organisations (or types of organisations) to which we would normally disclose information of that kind, the fact that you are able to access the information and how to contact us (for example, where personal information is collected on a form, we will generally include a written privacy statement on the form which sets out these details);
- MVRC will collect your personal information directly from you where it is reasonable and practicable to do so.
- Where MVRC collects information about you from a third party, we will still take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the details set out above.
- If you do not give personal information to the MVRC, it may affect the ability of the MVRC to provide you with products and/or services.
- Where we engage with you multiple times over a short period in relation to the same matter, we may not provide you with a separate notice about privacy each time we engage with you.
Generally, the MVRC collects personal information directly from you but the MVRC may also collect personal information from you from other methods including from your use of the MVRC website(s), MVRC Wi-fi services or registrations you make to receive information, including via email. The personal information which the MVRC collects and holds includes:
- your name, address, email address, gender, date of birth, occupation, contact information;
- information about dealings with us, including membership history, subscriptions for goods or services, and financial transactions;
- your attendance history where you obtain entry into the racecourse or other part of the venue;·details about any computer or device used to access the MVRC websites or Wi-fi services (such as the IP address, geolocation, domain name and browser type), the date and time of access, and details of the information downloaded.; and
- information derived from the use of "cookies" (see below).
In addition, you may also provide to us and we may collect and hold additional personal information, such as:
- your credit card information; and
- details of the goods or services ordered or purchased from us.
The MVRC may use "cookies" on our website(s). A cookie is a small text file that our website(s) may place on your computer. Usually, cookies are used as a means for our website(s) to remember your preferences and are thus designed to improve your experience of our website(s). Cookies may collect and store personal information about you.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Use & Disclosure of Personal Information by MVRC
The MVRC collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information for purposes including, without limitation:
- to verify your identity;
- to improve our website(s);
- to assist with providing products and services to you, to manage and account for the products and services, and to improve the products and services;
- to manage our relationship(s) with you, including the provision of customer loyalty schemes;
- to provide you with information about events, products and/or services that may interest you;
- to facilitate the internal business operations of the MVRC;
- to promote and market events, products or services;
- to enable corporate partners and sponsors of the MVRC, as well as their related bodies corporate, to market and promote their products and services to you; and
- to our third party service providers in connection with any of the above.
The MVRC may also disclose personal information where it is otherwise permitted to do so by law.
- You consent to the MVRC using your personal Information for sending you information, including promotional material, about products and services, as well as the products and services of third parties, now and in the future. You also consent to us sending you such information by means of direct mail, email, SMS and MMS messages.
- You can contact us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not want to receive marketing information from us. You may be required to provide us with proof of identity to enable us to change your marketing preferences.
The MVRC does not otherwise disclose personal information without your permission, unless the disclosure is:
- required or authorised by law, including without limitation the Australian Privacy Principles under the Reform Act.
- Use of Personal Information for purposes other than for which it was originally collected
If MVRC uses or discloses your personal information for a purpose (the “secondary purpose”) other the main reason for which it was originally collected (the “primary purpose”), to the extent required by the Reform Act, we will ensure that:
- the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that MVRC would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- you have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- the use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Reform Act (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
Data Quality and Security
To the extent required by the Reform Act, MVRC will take reasonable steps to:
- make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date;
- protect the personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure; and
- destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Reform Act.
MVRC will generally provide individuals with the option of not identifying themselves when entering transactions when it is lawful and practicable to do so. However, we will not always be able to do this, for example, on membership Application Forms, as identification will be required for the purposes of mailing subscription notices when they fall due.
Use of Commonwealth Government Identifiers
MVRC will not use Commonwealth Government Identifiers (“Identifiers”) (such as Medicare numbers) as its own identifier of individuals.We will only use or disclose Identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Reform Act.
Transfer of Personal Information Overseas
If MVRC transfers your personal information outside Australia, we will comply with requirements of the Reform Act that relate to trans-border data flows.
Access & Collection of Personal Information
Please contact MVRC Privacy Contact by email at email@example.com if you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. You will be required to provide proof of identity in order to obtain access to your personal information.
MVRC will generally provide you with access to your personal information if practicable (although a fee may be imposed), and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal information that is incorrect. The MVRC aims to provide access to your personal information within 30 days of a valid request.
In some circumstances, MVRC may not permit access to your personal information, or may refuse to correct your personal information, in which case we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
Please contact us if you have any queries about the personal information that MVRC holds about you or the way we handle that personal information. Our contact details for privacy queries are set out below.
MVRC Privacy Officer:
Mr. Bruce Clarke
Chief Financial Officer
Phone: (03) 9373 2240
Further information about the APPs and the application of the Reform Act to the public and private sectors generally can be found at the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, at http://www.oaic.gov.au
Please contact the MVRC Privacy Officer using the above details if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by the MVRC.