The transformation of one of Australia’s most famous sporting venues, The Valley Racecourse, will be unveiled tonight at a landmark event celebrating the commencement of the biggest redevelopment in the Club’s history.
The Valley precinct redevelopment is the result of nearly a decade of meticulous planning by Moonee Valley Racing Club (MVRC) in consultation with the community, State Government of Victoria, Moonee Valley City Council, Racing Victoria, the Victorian racing industry and MVRC members.
The Vision for The Valley will create a vibrant new lifestyle, sporting, residential and destination precinct that will deliver a wealth of community benefits for generations to come.
The MVRC is delivering a new world-class racing facility, featuring a state-of-the-art grandstand designed by COX Architecture – Australia’s leading sporting stadia architect.
The Valley of Tomorrow will retain the unique, intimate atmosphere of our famed ‘racing amphitheatre’ and be purpose-built to enhance the on-course experience.
It will also be a vibrant, multi-purpose destination providing key community facilities and generating visitation to a diversity of new non-racing events by day and night throughout the year.
“It will deliver a huge range of benefits for the entire community over the next century,” says MVRC Chairman Don Casboult.
“The scale and ambition of this project is unparalleled. The Valley of Tomorrow will respect our great heritage while creating a wonderful new environment for all to enjoy.
“This place has been the setting for so many iconic moments in Australian thoroughbred racing – the place where legends are made. Now a brilliant new chapter has been opened on The Valley story that will deliver enormous value for all Victorians.
“Our vision for The Valley is designed to provide the best facilities of any sporting, lifestyle, residential and community precinct in the nation,” said Casboult.
The Club has appointed a joint venture between Australia’s leading superannuation fund Hostplus and highly respected property developer Hamton as our development partners for the residential, retail and commercial precinct, following a comprehensive and highly competitive selection process.
“Our partners strongly share our vision and together we are deeply committed to working in close collaboration with the community to create a precinct that reflects community aspirations and enhances the local area for residents,” Casboult said.
The MVRC is pleased to have the full support of the Victorian Minister for Racing, the Hon Martin Pakula and Racing Victoria.
"I congratulate the MVRC on its vision and I'm confident that it will ensure an exciting future for racing at The Valley," said Victorian Minister for Racing, Hon Martin Pakula.
“This is an exciting development for the Moonee Valley Racing Club and the wider Victorian racing industry and the Racing Victoria Board is very supportive of the Club’s plans. We look forward to working with the Club to help ensure their vision for the project is realised,” said Racing Victoria CEO Giles Thompson.
THE VALLEY OF TOMORROW
The redevelopment will create an innovative, multi-purpose destination delivering:
- A world class thoroughbred racing centre reflecting The Valley’s international status as the home of the world’s equal highest-rated turf race, the Ladbrokes Cox Plate, and Australia’s home of night racing
- A new grandstand, re-oriented racetrack and redeveloped infield activated for community and major event use.
- New community, business, recreation and leisure facilities
- A thriving contemporary lifestyle and residential precinct
- A key tourism destination for Victorian, interstate and international visitors
- New community and commercial partnership opportunities
Redevelopment planning has been undertaken by MVRC in consultation with members, community, State and Local Government over the past decade.
The redevelopment plans were facilitated by the rezoning of the racecourse land by the appointed Planning Advisory Panel in 2015.
ABOUT THE DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS
Hostplus is the national superannuation fund for those that live and love Australian hospitality, tourism, recreation and sport. As the number one performing balanced fund in Australia, Hostplus has over one million members, 136,000 employers and $25 billion funds under management.
Hamton is a highly acclaimed Melbourne residential and mixed-use property developer with a long history of successful and award-winning projects since 2006.
- The project will now move into detailed design and construction phase, with marketing of the first residential precinct scheduled to commence in mid-2018.
- It is anticipated that the Grandstand development and reconfiguration of the racecourse will commence after the running of the 100th Cox Plate in 2020.
The New Grandstand
- Delivering the world’s best night racing venue
- Bringing Members and patrons closer to the racing action than at any other metropolitan track in Australia
- Designed with a customer-first approach, ensuring Members and patrons enjoy an exceptional thoroughbred racing experience
- Positioned to capitalise on the spectacular city skyline vista and night lights
The New Track
- Employing industry leading track technology and design to create Australia’s best racing surface in all conditions
- 1702 metres in circumference, with the home straight extended from the current 173 metres to 317 metres
- 30 metres wide, providing capacity to stage up to 35 race meetings each year
- Retaining all key starting positions, including the famous W S Cox Plate 2040 metre start at the top of the home straight
- Enabling an increased number of starters, allowing more industry participants to share The Valley experience and engage in metropolitan racing